Data+ Summer Research Program
Data+ is a ten-week summer research experience for undergraduates and master’s students interested in exploring new data-driven approaches to interdisciplinary challenges.
Students join small teams (a maximum of three undergraduates and one master’s student) and work alongside other teams in a communal environment. They learn how to marshal, analyze and visualize data, while gaining broad exposure to the field of data science.
The program runs from late May through late July each year, with the application deadline in February. The 2017 dates are May 22 - July 28. Participants receive a stipend. Students come from a variety of backgrounds, majors and levels of experience with coding. Through collaboration, they use data analysis to solve problems across disciplines.
Data+ is sponsored by Bass Connections, the Information Initiative at Duke, the Social Science Research Institute, the departments of Mathematics and Statistical Science, MEDx, and the Vice Provost for Research. Other Duke sponsors include Duke Health, Sanford School of Public Policy, Parking and Transportation, Development and Alumni Affairs, Duke Network Analysis Center, Samuel DuBois Cook Center on Social Equity, Professor Peter Lange, and the departments of Biology, Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, and Computer Science. Government funding comes from the National Science Foundation and the National Institutes of Health. Outside funding comes from Geometric Data Analytics, Inc., Sankofa, Inc., and RTI International. Community partnerships, data and interesting problems come from the Durham Neighborhood Compass, the North Carolina Justice Center, and the National Center for Gender Equality, the Smithsonian, Public Opinion Strategies, touringplans.com, the Triad Health Network, University of North Carolina–Greensboro, and the Dean of Academic Affairs.
- Mining Data for All It’s Worth
- Interview: Cole Rizki on Teaching Transgender Studies<
- Data+ Program Honored for Educational Innovation
- Student Team Addresses Gerrymandering with Mathematics
- Deep Learning + Cultural Fit = Relevance Learning to Search More Deeply with Data+
- Students Mine Parking Data to Help You Find a Spot
- Gender Identity Data Put Summer Students on Front Lines
- Is Durham’s Revival Pricing Some Longtime Residents Out?
- Data+ Team Examines Web of Collaborators at Duke
- Connecting the Symptoms of Pancreatic Cancer with Big Data
- Distinguishing Solar Panels from Swimming Pools
- Type 2 Diabetes and Pancreatic Cancer
- Data+ Research Teams Focus on Timing
- Mapping a Changing City with Data
- Data+ Program Continues to Grow
- Extra Effort: Finishing the Job on Data+
- Data-driven Approaches to Interdisciplinary Challenges
- Duke Alumnus Uses Data Science to Win Awards, Partner with Students
- Summer Data+ Groups Pursue Pigs and Purchases
- Pinpointing the Cause of Coughs and Sneezes
- So You Want to Be a Data Scientist