Data+ is a ten-week summer research experience for undergraduates and master’s students interested in exploring new data-driven approaches to interdisciplinary challenges. It is suitable for students at all levels and from all majors.
Students join small teams (a maximum of three undergraduates and one master’s student) and work alongside other teams in a communal environment. They learn how to marshal, analyze and visualize data, while gaining broad exposure to the field of data science.
The program runs from late May through late July each year, with the application deadline in February. Participants receive a stipend. Students come from a variety of backgrounds, majors and levels of experience with coding. Through collaboration, they use data analysis to solve problems across disciplines.
Data+ is offered through the Rhodes Information Initiative at Duke and is part of the Bass Connections Information, Society & Culture theme.
In Summer 2021, Data+ will run from June 1 to August 6, 2021. Participants will receive a $5,000 stipend. Graduate student mentors can receive research and travel support. The application deadline was February 26, 2021.
Data+ 2021 Projects
- Agile Waveform Design
- American Predatory Lending
- Constructing Utopias in Restoration London
- Creating Artificial Worlds for Energy Access
- Data Visualization for Family Health
- Dashboard for Public Investments
- Detecting and Matching Similar Networks
- Ethical Consumption Before Capitalism
- From Farm to Fork
- The Impact of Virtualized Museum Collections
- Mapping the Trajectories of Duke Doctoral Students
- Mental Health and the Justice System in Durham County
- Modeling Microbial Growth and Resilience
- NLP in the Investment Office
- Pivers Island Coastal Observatory
- Predicting Baseball Athletic Performance
- Racial Disparities in the Child Welfare System
- Rainforest XPRIZE
- Rubenstein Library Card Catalog
- Understanding Voting Patterns and Interactions with Gerrymandering
- Visualizing Durham Public School Communities
- Web Attack Features
Past Projects and Participants