Most Bass Connections project teams appoint at least one person to serve as a project manager. This role is critical to the effective functioning of project teams and offers those serving in the role a great opportunity to gain experience managing complex projects (team leaders: see our tips on how to effectively integrate a project manager into your team).
This academic year, more than ever, each project manager’s efforts to coordinate his/her team’s goals, workflow, communication and resources will be crucial to their team’s success. We strongly encourage all project managers to spend some time reviewing the Bass Connections Tools for Team Success and the resources below which are designed to support Bass Connections project managers.
Project Management Short Course
Bass Connections, working with instructors at Duke Libraries and Duke Science & Society, run a Duke Graduate Academy short course on interdisciplinary project management. This course includes five sessions on the fundamentals of project management from defining a team’s scope and creating a project plan to managing resources, roles and workflow. Project managers can access the video modules for this course anytime to learn more about topics such as:
- Project planning
- Effective teamwork and communication
- Delegating work
- Organizing their team’s “stuff”
- Troubleshooting common team challenges
- Sharing their team’s research and communicating impact
If you would like to access the syllabus or other materials from this course, please email Meghan O'Neil.
Project Management Workshops and Materials
Review materials and handouts from prior project management sessions hosted in partnership with Duke Libraries.
Project Management Fundamentals
- Key Project Management Concepts (handout)
- Team Charter Template
- Project Management Resources List (handout)
- Guidance on Setting Team Norms (handout)
- Tips for Remote Teamwork (handout)
- Running Effective Meetings (handout)
- Stakeholder Communication Mapping (handout)
- Finding Your Audience and Communicating Your Message (slides)
- Team Collaboration Tools (handout)
- Documentation for Teams (handout)
Additional Online Resources
Project managers may also be interested in the following online resources offered by LinkedIn Learning. Duke students, faculty and staff can access LinkedIn Learning for free through Duke’s university-wide license. To log in with your NetID, go to: https://oit.duke.edu/what-we-do/applications/linkedin-learning.
- Project Management Foundations (3 hrs 20 min)
- Why Mentoring Matters (2 min 47 sec)
- Mentoring Others (14 min 4 sec)
- Time Management Fundamentals (2 hrs 51 min)
- Managing Your Calendar for Peak Productivity (1 hr 7 min)