Bass Connections Invites Proposals for 2023-2024 Projects by November 7
September 6, 2022
Bass Connections is now accepting proposals for 2023-2024 projects that engage faculty, undergraduates and graduate/professional students in the interdisciplinary exploration of complex societal challenges. Please see the project proposal guidelines. The deadline to propose a project is November 7 at 5:00 p.m.
Projects may be proposed in relation to one or more of the six interdisciplinary themes of Bass Connections, or to Bass Connections Open – a channel that invites proposals that align with the model of Bass Connections but otherwise fall outside the parameters of the existing themes.
This year, we have a new theme, Health Policy & Innovation, which will support interdisciplinary teams of faculty and students in their exploration of solutions to improve health and wellbeing in the United States.
- Brain & Society
- Energy & Environment
- Global Health (including U.S. health disparities)
- Health Policy & Innovation (new this year)
- Information, Society & Culture
- Race & Society
- Bass Connections Open
Bring Your Questions to Drop-in Office Hours
Interested faculty, particularly those who have never led a Bass Connections team, are encouraged to contact a Bass Connections theme leader or Laura Howes, director of Bass Connections. Faculty can also discuss potential ideas or ask questions during our drop-in office hours (https://duke.zoom.us/j/99393877201):
- Friday, September 9, 10:00-11:00
- Friday, September 30, 9:00-10:00
- Friday, October 14, 1:00-2:00
- Friday, October 21, 11:00-12:00
- Friday, October 28, 9:00-10:00
Special Opportunities for 2023-2024
When completing a proposal, faculty may choose to take advantage of the following opportunities. Please note that applying for these opportunities will not increase your project budget, but rather may increase the likelihood that your project will be selected by allowing us to leverage funds designated for a specific purpose.
- Joint proposals for a Bass Connections project and a Summer 2023 Data+ and/or Story+ project: (You may propose a Data+ or Story+ summer project linked to a year-long Bass Connections project through the Bass Connections RFP. You do not need to complete a separate application for Data+/Story+. Please contact Paul Bendich with questions about Data+. Please contact Jules Odendahl-James and Lou Brown with questions about Story+ and read what makes a strong Story+ project.)
- Biodiversity Conservation
- Arts & Humanities
- Read the 2023-2024 project proposal guidelines and check out sample proposals and perspectives from faculty who have led Bass Connections projects.
- Explore the new Health Policy and Innovation theme.
- Propose a Summer 2023 Data+ project.