Apply Now for the 2022 Data+ Summer Research Program
December 20, 2021
Interested in exploring new data-driven approaches to interdisciplinary challenges? Student applications are now open for this summer’s Data+ research program.
The application deadline is February 25, but applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis, so students should apply as soon as possible.
Data+ is a full-time ten-week summer research experience for undergraduates and master’s students. Students join small teams and learn how to marshal, analyze and visualize data, while gaining broad exposure to the field of data science. In Summer 2022, the program will run from May 23 through July 29.
Within Data+, students can apply to the first cohort of Climate+, which aims to advance interdisciplinary understanding of climate change’s causes and societal impacts and to identify sustainable solutions.
Participants will receive a $5,000 stipend, out of which they must arrange their own housing and travel. They may not accept employment or take classes during the program.
Explore the 2022 Data+ Projects
- AdoptADrain: Working With Citizen Science Data to Understand Plastic Pollution Within Stormwater
- AI-Powered Transcription of Historical Manuscripts
- Analyzing the Gap in Cancer Control Equity in China
- A City and Its River: Contaminant Risk in Durham*
- Data+Fest: Building a Dashboard and Educational Resources for DataFest
- Ethical Consumption Before Capitalism
- Exploring Novel Machine Learning Techniques for Brain Computer Interface (BCI) Applications
- Finding Medieval Irish People Using Drones: The HELM Project
- Gamifying Risk Identification for Alcohol Use Behaviors*
- Improving Infection Detection Efficiency With Wearables*
- Investigating Wetland Carbon Emissions in the Southeast U.S. Under Climate Change†
- Mapping the Trajectories of Duke Doctoral Students
- Mental Health and the Justice System in Durham County*
- Modeling Microbial Growth to Understand Pathogenesis and Biological Resilience
- Pilot Earthquake Early Warning in Kathmandu*
- Plus Programs Data Exploration
- Policy Surveillance of UHC Financing in Developing Countries*
- Predictable Control of Spatial Patterns Formed by Bacterial Consortia
- River Ice Timing and Duration in a Warming Climate: Field Camera Image Classification†
- Small Town Policing Accountability
- Tracking Climate Change Causes and Impacts With Satellites and AI*,†
- Understanding the Course of Disease via Registration on Electronic Health Records Data
- Understanding Electric Consumption Profiles With an Emphasis on Data Privacy†
- Visualizing Durham Public School Communities*
*Related to a 2022-2023 Bass Connections project.
- Register for the virtual Data+ Information Fair on January 21, 1:30-3:30 p.m. EST.
- Learn more about the 2022-2023 Bass Connections project teams (to be announced on January 10) at the 2022 Bass Connections Fair on January 28 in Penn Pavilion.
- Browse stories from students about their Bass Connections experiences.